Halloumi, Carrot & Orange Salad
With winter coming on no need to cut back on your salad intake, adding a warm component to the meal is all you need to add that winter bliss. In this recipe, warm halloumi cheese added to a bed of Vitamin C boosting orange and Vitamin A boosting peeled carrot will accompany your main meal or be your main meal depending on you hunger.
Rich in protein, vitamin A and vitamin C, this easy salad can be eaten as a side or a main.
Prep: 10 mins
2 large oranges
1 ½ tbsp. wholegrain mustard
1 ½ tsp. honey
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
2 large carrots peeled
225gm block halloumi sliced (palm sized serve per person)
100g baby spinach
- Cut and peel the pith away from the oranges (the more pith you leave the more vitamin C contained). Use a small serrated knife to segment the orange, catching any juices in the bowl.
- Add mustard, honey, vinegar, oil and salt + pepper and mix well.
- Peel carrot ribbons into the dressing bowl and toss gently.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in the frying pan and cook the halloumi for a few minutes until golden on both sides.
- Toss the spinach through with the dressed carrots, top with the halloumi and oranges.
OPTIONS for Inspiration:
Substitute the Halloumi cheese for Salmon Steaks for a healthy omega 3 rich meal.
Scatter with roasted walnuts.
Add pink grapefruit or blood oranges for a colourful play on your citrus mix.
- Hits: 27